North Carolina Arts Council Artist Support Grant
Region #10 (Caswell, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin)
(Applications due by September 30, 2020)
Guidelines and Information
The Artist Support Grant was created to provide direct support to individual artists during and following the COVID-19 pandemic. The initiative will fund professional and artistic development for emerging and established artists to enhance their skills and abilities to create work or to improve their business operations and capacity to bring their work to new audiences.
Artists representing visual, craft, performing, traditional, and interdisciplinary art forms are encouraged to apply. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to spending a significant portion of their time on their work as artists. The Artist Support Grants will support new or ongoing projects that take place before June 30, 2021. Awards may range from $500-$1200. Applicants may receive full or partial funding.
- Individuals and Artist Collectives — Both individual artists and small, unincorporated groups of collaborating artists are eligible to apply.
- Residency — Artists should have lived continuously in the region where they are applying for at least one year before the consortium’s application deadline. An applicant must be at least 18 years old and either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien. The consortium may require proof of residence and status. Artists who live in more than one region should apply only where they spend most of the All members of a collaborating team must be North Carolina residents, live in the region in which they are applying, and meet the other eligibility requirements. Résumés documenting residence for all team members should be included with the application.
- Multiple Awards — Artists who are sole proprietors of organizations that have already received funding for FY2020–2021 from the N.C. Arts Council are ineligible to apply.
- Conflict of Interest — Current board and staff members of the consortium partner organizations and their family members are not eligible to apply for the award.
- Student Status — The Artist Support Grant is intended for adult, nonstudent artists. Artists enrolled full-time in undergraduate or associate degree-granting programs may not apply for the grant. Artists in certificate programs are generally eligible. Artists pursuing graduate degrees in subjects other than their art form may be eligible if they meet the other eligibility criteria. Other questions and special circumstances should be discussed with N.C. Arts Council
Eligible Projects and Costs
Up to 50 percent of the grant amount may be used for artist fees.
- Completion/Presentation of a New Work — Cost of resources necessary to complete or present a significant new work (e.g., purchasing art supplies or equipment (digital may qualify) or space rental)
- Career Promotion — Projects aimed at advertising artists’ work and/or demonstrating their skill level (e.g., websites, portfolios, audio-visual documentation, and online presentation)
- Training — Costs to attend a class or workshop (in-person or virtual) aimed at either enhancing the artist’s skill level or professional development (e.g., a master class or workshop taught by acknowledged authorities in the applicant artist’s medium)
- Travel — Costs of transportation, lodging, and food for training, professional conferences, or research as allowed or possible while adhering to social distancing guidelines
Ineligible Projects and Costs
- Scholarships for undergraduate- or graduate-level education
- Projects that support or oppose a particular candidate for public office
- Projects that are exclusive to members of a particular religious faith group
- Projects that do not have a direct effect on the applicant’s growth as an artist (e.g., the promotion of other artists’ work)
Applications must be completed and submitted online to: email@example.com
– OR –
Mailed to: Yadkin Arts Council, P.O. Box 667, Yadkinville, NC 27055 (must be postmarked by September 30, 2020)
– OR –
Hand-delivered to: Yadkin Cultural Arts Center, 226 E. Main Street, Yadkinville, NC 27055 (must be delivered by 5pm on September 30, 2020)
· Overall excellence of the applicant’s artwork as demonstrated by work samples
- Feasibility of the proposed project
- Contribution of the proposed project to the advancement of the applicant’s professional artistic development and practice
All completed Artist Support Grant applications will be judged by a multi-county panel of established artists, arts professionals, and arts educators and administrators who will review and evaluate the applications and allocate funds for selected projects.
Information and Assistance
For more information, please contact: Sarah Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application Workshop Schedule: August 20 (2-3pm) & September 17 (10-11am).
Grant Panel: October 28, 2020
Award Announcement: October 30, 2020
(Grant funds cannot be spent prior to this period)
Virtual Workshops for the artists that are interested in applying for the NC Arts Council’s Artist Support Grant. These workshops will walk you through the process step by step and will give you an opportunity to ask questions and to help you prepare to fill out and submit the grant application.
Local Arts Council Contact Information
Caswell Council for the Arts – Denise Burnette (email@example.com)
Rockingham County Arts Council – Jenny Edwards (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Surry Arts Council – Tanya Jones (email@example.com)
Stokes County Arts Council – Eddy McGee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Yadkin Arts Council – Sarah Smith (email@example.com)